Budgets & Audits
Annual Budget Vote & Board Member Election
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
The annual school district budget vote and school board member election is held on the third Tuesday in May. Registered voters may vote on the school budget for the 2020-2021 school year and on Board of Education members. Two (2) seats will be up for election. The seats are for three-year terms from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2023 and will be filled by the candidates who receive the most votes.
Polls are open from 6:00am until 9:00pm at the following locations:
Carmel High School - For residents of the towns of Carmel, Putnam Valley & Southeast*
Kent Elementary School - For residents of the towns of Kent & East Fishkill*
Carmel Central School District Office (NEW LOCATION)- For residents of the town of Patterson*
*Note: Registered voters must vote at a designated polling location based upon address. The listing above is a general guideline but there are some exceptions. If you are unsure of your polling location contact Sue Dieck at 845 878-2094, ext. 202 (email@example.com) or Ines Petterson at 845 878-2094, ext. 215.
2019-20 Dates to Remember
- Monday, April 20, 2020-School Board Candidate Nominating Petitions Due
- Tuesday, May 6, 2020-Budget Public Hearing
- Thursday, May 14, 2020-Last Day to Register to Vote for School Budget/Board Member Election
- Tuesday, May 19, 2020-Budget Vote & Board Member Election
Voter Registration & Absentee Ballots
To vote, you must be registered. To be eligible to register, you must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and a resident of the District for 30 days. Registration deadline for the May 19, 2020 vote is THURSDAY, May 14, 2020. If you are registered with the county Board of Elections or have voted in a school election in the last four years, you are already registered. If you have not voted in a school election in the last four years or are NOT already registered, you can do one of two things:
1. Register with the School District for school votes & elections: Come to the District Office, 81 South St., Patterson, NY, Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until Thursday, May 14, 2020.
2. Register with your county of residence: Click to download, print and mail your New York State Registration form to your county of residence:
Voter Registration Form - English
Voter Registration Form - Spanish
To check your registration status, contact Susan Dieck, District Clerk at 845 878-2094, ext. 202 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATIONS
Click here for absentee ballot application form. Applications are also available at the District Office, 81 South St., Patterson, NY The last date to submit an application is May 12, 2020 if you would like your ballot mailed or May 18, 2020 if the ballot will be picked up in person. Ballots may only be delivered to the voter, either by mail or in person.
Absentee ballots are due in the office of the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 19, 2020
Board of Education Candidate Information
Individuals interested in running for the Board of Education must have the following qualifications:
- Be able to read and write
- Be a qualified voter of this district (U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age)
- Be a resident of this school district for at least one continuous and uninterrupted year prior to the election
- Be the only member of a family serving on the Board of Education at the time of the election
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year
- May not be a current employee of the school board (when the term of office begins)
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
For the 2020-2021 school year, two (2) seats are up for election. The seats are for three (3) year terms from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2023 and will be filled by the candidates who receive the most votes. Prospective candidates are required to submit a completed nominating petition and notarized expenditure and contribution statements. To receive the nominating packet of information (including petition and expenditure forms) contact Sue Dieck, District Clerk at 845 878-2094, ext. 202 or email@example.com
For more information on running for the Board of Education please visit The School Board Member Experience, from the New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA)
IMPORTANT DEADLINES FOR CANDIDATES
- Monday, April 20, 2020 -- Nominating petitions are due in the office of the District Clerk no later than 5:00pm. Petition must be signed by 49 qualified voters of the school district.
- Monday, April 20, 2020 -- The first of three expenditure statements is due in the office of the District Clerk. The statement must be signed & notarized.
- TBD--Meet the Candidates for the Board of Education. Carmel High School Library
- Thursday, May 14, 2020 -- The second of three expenditure statements is due in the office of the District Clerk. The statement must be signed & notarized.
- Monday, June 8, 2020 -- The third of three expenditure statements is due in the office of the District Clerk. The statement must be signed & notarized.
Candidates will be asked to participate in "Meet the Candidates" evening. Date TBD. The evening is moderated by the Putnam County League of Women Voters and will be videotaped for broadcast on our website and Cable TV channel.
Once elected, all school board members must complete twelve hours of mandated training within the first year of service: six hours on school board governance and six hours on fiscal oversight.
For more information visit "Running for the School Board," published by the New York State School Board Association.