Interscholastic & Extra Curricular
NOTE: This document is based upon current guidelines and recommendations from the NYS Department of Health and the NYS Education Department. It is a living document and is subject to updates as more information becomes available.
As a result of the COVID19 pandemic, The New York State Public High School Athletic Assosiation has delayed the Fall sports start date until Monday, September 21. With NYS approval for the opening of schools in September and with appropriate social distancing, PPE usage, and cleaning and disinfection of equipment, the following will be implemented:
- Cancel NYS Fall Regional and State Championship events
- Waive seven-day practice rule to enable greater opportunities for local participation
- Maintain current practice requirements
- Encourage geographic scheduling for games & contests
- Schools would have the option, if permitted by state officials, to offer off-season conditioning workouts.
If the Fall sports season is interrupted or impacted by COVID-19 crisis (i.e. state official guidance, school closings, cancelation of high-risk sports, etc.) then a condensed seasons plan will be implemented. This plan takes into consideration the competitive and interactive aspects of each sport and would include the following, with the stipulated dates being tentative.
- Season I (Winter Sports)
- Dates: Jan. 4-Mar. 13 (Week 27-36) 10 Weeks
- *Note: tentative dates Sports: basketball (girls & boys), bowling (girls & boys), gymnastics, ice hockey (girls & boys), indoor track & field (girls & boys), skiing (girls & boys), swimming (boys), *wrestling, *competitive cheer. * Because of the high risk nature of wrestling and competitive cheer, sports may have to be moved to Season II or season III.
- Season II (Fall Sports)
- Dates: Mar. 1-May 8 (Week 35-44) 10 Weeks
- *Note: tentative dates Sports: football, cross country (girls & boys), field hockey, soccer (girls & boys), swimming (girls), volleyball (girls & boys), Unified bowling. Note: Weather will have an impact upon outdoor sports in some parts of the state in March and potentially early April. Girls Tennis moved to Season III.
- Season III (Spring Sports)
- Dates: Apr. 5-Jun. 12 (Week 40-49) 10 Weeks
- *Note: tentative dates Sports: baseball, softball, golf (girls & boys), lacrosse (girls & boys), tennis (girls & boys), outdoor track & field (girls & boys), Unified basketball.
Club Advisors will submit a re-entry plan for their individual club/activity:
- Plans are to include a hybrid of in-person meetings and live video meetings.
- A calendar will be created for all clubs to book larger rooms in order to ensure social distancing.
- Clubs which consist of student cohorts entering other schools will not be permitted.
- During remote learning, clubs/activities are to meet via live video.